Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Day 7: Could it be...

Seitan!?


Why yes, it is special


No, not that kind of protein, whatever it is you're thinking. 
The Vegan Age is coming to an apocalyptic end. 
And why not go out with a little flourish? 
Tonight I invited Seitan into my life.


Seitan is known by many names,
including Wheat Meat.
Seitan is a weird asian industrial food product. For some reason, lots of people think this kind of thing is good for them. I don't know, but it cooks into something meat-like, and it got a nice char on the grill pan.






Since I've been talking about hell and paganism all week, it had to be seitan Greek-style. Those guys know their sin. Opa!


Hey, that's not lamb!


Pseudo Souvlaki

Grilled seitan
Caramelized onions and red peppers
Roasted garlic-dill aioli (vegannaise base)
Red romaine lettuce
On flatbread

with tabouli, assorted olives,
and pickled peppers
But I don't care!





Week's Recap:
Eating vegan for a little while really isn't a punishment. I didn't challenge myself by trying to eat out, but what I made at home was great. After a day or two, all these oddball proteins actually tasted meaty and satisfying. A little soy sauce and you're there. 

Takeaway:
I had fun cooking and writing about rabbit food, and I lost a couple of pounds along the way. Right now, I could go for a little dairy, but I really don't miss meat. All I can say for sure is that it's possible to eat vegan and eat very well.
                                                                                       I'd even do it again.

No comments: